Be a volunteer!
Join us as we come together as a neighborhood to feed the hungry in Chatham County. PORCH Westfall is a monthly neighborhood food drive to benefit the CORA food pantry in Pittsboro. We’re always looking for volunteers. No contribution is too small and no long term commitment is required.
Pick-up and delivery driver
On the first Wednesday of the month, starting around 9 am, drive your designated Westfall section and collect donation bags from neighbor’s porches. Meet up with the other drivers and head to CORA to deliver the month’s donations.
Time commitment: ~2 hours/month. Can cover a route every month or as available. No minimum commitment required.
Skills/abilities needed: Driving, walking, standing, lifting and carrying bags (usually weighing up to 15 lbs each), loading bags into vehicle, unloading bags into a shopping cart upon arrival at CORA and wheeling the cart into the food pantry.
Pick-up and delivery helper
On the first Wednesday of the month, help collect bags from porches and place into the pick-up/delivery driver’s vehicle. Ride along and help unload the vehicle upon arrival at CORA.
This is a great option for families who want to get their kids involved in helping out, especially during Summer Break!
Time commitment: ~2 hours per month. Can help each month or as available.
Skills needed: Standing, walking, lifting and carrying (bags usually weigh up to ~15 lbs each).
Food & Donation Information
100% of our individual donations go to CORA Food Pantry.
PORCH Westfall is a part of PORCH Chatham, which provides support for the CORA Food Pantry in Pittsboro, NC, the largest food pantry in Chatham County, NC.
Food Collection Information
Our monthly food collection takes place on the first Wednesday of the month. Food is collected by our volunteers directly from your front porch.
We collect donations every month in the Westfall Community in Chatham County, NC. PORCH Westfall’s territory currently comprises the following streets in the growing Westfall community:
For more information you can contact Krista by email, through Westfall’s Nextdoor page, or the PORCH Westfall Facebook page.
Food Donation Recommendations
We follow CORA Food Pantry’s suggested non-perishable foods and supplies list, including:
- Canned Salmon – 14.75 oz.
- Canned Ham – 1 lb.
- Soups: Cream of Chicken, other Chicken & Beef Soups, Chowders – 10.75-20 oz.
- Canned Fruit: light syrup or natural fruit juices – 15-20 oz.
- Canned Beans: Kidney, Black & Black Eye – 1 lb.
- Dried Beans: Black and Black Eye – 1lb
- Canned Vegetables: Mixed Greens, Tomatoes, Potatoes – 14.25-20 oz.
- Maseca Corn Flour: 2 lb.
- Boxed Cereals: healthy, low-sugar varieties – 14-18 oz.
- Shelf stable milk: 32 oz.
- Pasta: varieties *other than* spaghetti or elbow macaroni – 1 lb.
- Grits: 1 lb. 2oz.
- Toiletries and hygiene items: toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, lotions, disposable razors, bath soap, etc.
- Paper Products: Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
- Pantry Staples: Flour, sugar, salt, pepper
We also accept hardy fresh produce, such as potatoes, onions, apples, and oranges, and have a need for condiments, cooking oils, and spices (all in non-glass containers).